PhD in Systems Engineering
The Ph.D. in Systems Engineering allows rising scholars to produce original research in the systems engineering field. Systems engineering at GW is concerned with developing models and techniques for analyzing complex socio-technical systems: supporting their design and operation, managing risk and resilience, and understanding their fundamental dynamics.
Students work directly with a faculty advisor to formulate their research focus, write and publish their dissertation, as well as participate actively in professional and research-focused conferences in the field of engineering management and systems engineering.
The Ph.D. program is based on GW’s main campus in Washington, D.C. (Foggy Bottom), which lies in close proximity to a wide array of federal agencies and other organizations with significant engineering management challenges and interests. Faculty and doctoral students have built collaborative relationships that benefit from and support these organizations.
To learn more about our doctoral program, please explore our EMSE website to meet our faculty and learn more about our major research themes:
- Technology, policy, and management
- Complex systems design and operation
- Risk, resilience, and decision-making
- Data and models for socio-technical systems
Faculty Advisor & Research Focus
We strongly recommend that prospective doctoral students determine a faculty member in the department with whom they would like to work, as well as the research area of interest.
Download Faculty & Research Factsheet (PDF)
Please visit the GW Bulletin to see a description of the program requirements.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in an appropriate area from an accredited institution.
- If applicant has obtained a master’s degree, a minimum grade point average of 3.5 (on a scale of 4.0) is required.
- If applicant has only obtained a bachelor’s degree, the minimum grade point average must be a 3.3 (on a scale of 4.0).
- Successful submission of online application form, exam scores and other documents as outlined in the admissions requirements.
If you are seeking to complete this program online, please view the requirements and apply at SEAS Online Programs.