Richard C. Millar
- Research Professor
- 725 23rd Street NW Suite 103 | Office hours: By appointment
- [email protected]
Prior to his present appointment at GW, Dr. Millar was associate professor for eight years at Naval Postgraduate School, teaching systems engineering to U.S. Navy military and civilian engineers and conducting related research inclusive of student thesis and capstone project advising. The students instructed and advised benefited from his extensive career experience in commercial and military aerospace and systems engineering and management. His recent research has focused on systems engineering problems impeding USN and USMC operations, acquisition and sustainment with a perspective on organizational contexts and incentives. A major theme is the integration of systems engineering with the adjacent disciplines of technological research and development, new product development, program and project management, marketing and business development and business management and finance, in mixed commercial and government milieu.
Recent and ongoing projects address the process of assessing UAS airworthiness, system safety and range safety (applying Bayesian belief networks), risk analysis for a ‘storm penetrating’ research aircraft, optimal systems of systems sustaining and supporting dispersed USMC rifle platoons (infantry) in irregular and dispersed warfare, optimal ‘prognostic’ maintenance processes and systems, architectures for unobtrusive embedded instrumentation systems, and SoS for naval aviation sustainment across DoD domains and disciplines. Research funding was provided by NSF, ONR, DARPA, CRUSER and NAVAIR. This research is documented in numerous widely available publications.
- D.Sc. Systems Engineering, The George Washington University, 2008
- M.S. Management (Sloan Fellow), Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1984
- Dip. Management, McGill University, 1975
- B.Eng. (Mechanical Engineering (1968) & M.Eng. (Aerospace Engineering, 1970), Carleton University, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- Memberships: AIAA, ASME, AHS, IEEE, INCOSE, SAE (conference organizer, journal editor)
- TS/SCI cleared.