Professor Joost Santos' research interests lie at the intersection of systems engineering, disaster risk analysis, and economics. He has been involved in critical infrastructure protection projects including transportation, electric power, and oil/gas process control systems. Professor Santos utilizes and develops extensions to the economic input-output model to predict the ripple effects of disasters across interdependent infrastructure and economic systems. Professor Santos explores research topics on coupled workforce-infrastructure recovery strategies and their applications to disasters, notably hurricanes and disease pandemics.
- Ph.D., Systems Engineering, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, 2003
- M.S., Industrial Engineering, University of the Philippines, 1997
- B.S., Industrial Engineering, University of the Philippines, 1994
- Santos JR, May L, El Haimar A, 2012. Risk-based input-output analysis of influenza epidemic consequences on interdependent workforce sectors (Submitted to Risk Analysis).
- Santos JR, 2012. An input-output framework for assessing disaster impacts on Nashville metropolitan region (Submitted to Economic Systems Research).
- Resurreccion JZ, Santos JR, 2012. Multi-objective prioritization methodology and decision support system for evaluating inventory enhancement strategies for disrupted interdependent sectors, Risk Analysis (Accepted for Publication).
- Dickey BD, Santos JR, 2011. Risk analysis of safety service patrol systems in Virginia, Risk Analysis, 31(12): 1859-1871.
- Orsi MJ, Santos JR, 2010. Probabilistic modeling of workforce-based disruptions and input-output analysis of interdependent ripple effects, Economic Systems Research, 22(1): 3-18, Recipient of Leontief Memorial Prize Best Paper, July 2009, Sao Paulo, Brazil.
- Barker KA, Santos JR, 2010. Measuring the efficacy of inventory with a dynamic input-output model. International Journal of Production Economics, 126(1): 130-143
- Barker KA, Santos, JR, 2010. A risk-based approach for identifying key economic and infrastructure systems, Risk Analysis 30(6): 962-974.
- Orsi MJ, Santos JR, January 2010. Incorporating time-varying perturbations into the dynamic inoperability input-output model. IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part A: Systems and Humans, 40(1): 100-106.
- Orsi MJ, Santos JR, March 2010. Estimating Workforce-Related Economic Impact of a Pandemic on the Commonwealth of Virginia, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part A: Systems and Humans, 40(2): 301-305.
- Santos JR, Orsi MJ, Bond EJ, December 2009. Pandemic recovery analysis using the dynamic inoperability input-output model. Risk Analysis, 29(12): 1743-1758.
- Horowitz BH, Santos JR, 2009. Runway Safety: A Systematic Approach for Implementing Ultra-Safe Options, Journal of Air Transport Management, 15(6): 357-362.
- Jung J, Santos JR, Haimes YY, 2009. International Trade Inoperability Input-Output Model (IT-IIM): Theory and Application, Risk Analysis, 29(1): 137-154.
- Santos JR, Barker KA, Zelinke PJ, 2008. Sequential Decision-making in Interdependent Sectors with Multiobjective Inoperability Decision Trees, Economic Systems Research, 20(1): 29-56.
- Santos JR, 2008. Inoperability Input-Output Model (IIM) with Multiple Probabilistic Sector Inputs, Journal of Industrial Management and Optimization, 4(3): 489-510.
- Haggerty MS, Santos JR, Haimes YY, 2008. A Transportation-Based Framework for Deriving Perturbations to the Inoperability Input-Output Model, Journal of Infrastructure Systems, 14(4): 293-304.
- Santos JR, Haimes YY, and Lian C, 2007. A Framework for Linking Cyber Security Metrics to the Modeling of Macroeconomic Interdependencies, Risk Analysis, an International Journal, 27(5): 1283-1297.
- Lian C., Santos, J.R., Y. Y. Haimes, 2007. Extreme Risk Analysis of Interdependent Economic and Infrastructure Sectors, Risk Analysis, an International Journal, 27(4): 1053-1064.
- Leung MF, Haimes YY, Santos JR, 2007. Supply-and Output-Side Extensions to Inoperability Input-Output Model for Interdependent Infrastructures, Journal of Infrastructure Systems, 13(4): 299-310.|
- Haimes YY, Santos JR, Williams GM, 2007. Assessing and Managing the Inoperability of Virginia's Interdependent Transportation Systems, International Journal of Risk Assessment and Management, 7(6/7): 968-992.
- Anderson CW, Santos JR, Haimes YY, 2007. A Risk-Based Input-Output Methodology for Measuring the Effects of the August 2003 Northeast Blackout, Economics Systems Research 19(2): 183-204.
- Santos JR, 2006. Inoperability Input-Output Modeling of Disruptions to Interdependent Economic Systems, Systems Engineering, 9(1): 20-34.
- Santos JR, Haimes YY, 2005. Portfolio Risk Partitioning with Leontief-Type Diversification, Finance Letters. 3(1): 117-123.
- Haimes YY, Horowitz BM, Lambert JH, Santos JR, Lian C, Crowther KG, 2005. Inoperability input-output model (IIM) for interdependent infrastructure sectors: theory and methodology. Journal of Infrastructure Systems, 11(2): 67-79.
- Haimes YY, Horowitz BM, Lambert JH, Santos JR, Crowther KG, Lian C, 2005. Inoperability input-output model (IIM) for interdependent infrastructure sectors: case study. Journal of Infrastructure Systems, 11(2), 80-92.
- Santos JR, Haimes YY, 2004. Modeling the Demand Reduction Input-Output (I-O) Inoperability Due to Terrorism of Interconnected Infrastructures, Best Paper Award 2003 Society for Risk Analysis (SRA) Annual Meeting, Risk Analysis, An International Journal, 24(6):1437-1451.
- Santos JR, Haimes YY, 2004. Applying the Partitioned Multiobjective Risk Method to Portfolio Selection, Best Paper Award 2002 SRA Annual Meeting, Risk Analysis, an International Journal 24(3): 697-713.
- Leung MF, Santos JR, Haimes YY, 2003. Risk Modeling, Assessment, and Management of Lahar Flow Threat, Best Paper Award 2001 SRA Annual Meeting, Risk Analysis, an International Journal, 23(6): 1323-1335.